GPS File of Put-Ins

This forum is for features you'd like to see or any feedback in general.

GPS File of Put-Ins

Postby TonyK on Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:28 am

Hi Rich,

I was wondering if you thought about posting a file of all the Put-Ins in GPX or similar GPS-compatible format that we could download from PaddleAway to upload to our GPS units, similar to the files on POI Factory (for example, the boating files at http://www.poi-factory.com/taxonomy/term/21).

I'd be glad to work with you to do any needed conversion of the file and post it on POI Factory's Website along with a link to PaddleAway.com to get additional publicity for PaddleAway (or I could just include a post with a link to PaddleAway instead of the file for download, if you prefer). There are virtually no GPS files on POI-Factory for the area covered by your Put-Ins database, so making these available for download would be a real service to paddlers nationwide as well as a great way to get additional publicity for PaddleAway.

What do you think?

Tony K
TonyK

Re: GPS File of Put-Ins

Postby rich on Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:42 pm

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Do you know if GPS units accept KML files? I got KML file generation working a while ago but never released it (it opens up OK in Google Earth). I just cleaned it up and with a little more work I can probably release it. I could probably also get a GPX version working fairly quickly.

Either way, I'm thinking I would added one GPX/KML file per River/Lake to prevent anyone from easily copying all the info on the site.

-Rich
rich
Site Admin

Postby TonyK on Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:44 pm

Hi Rich,

KML works fine, there is a nice free shareware application called PoiEdit (http://www.poiedit.com/index.htm) that will do conversions between many different GPS file formats, including GPX, KML, CSV, etc. I could do that for you, if you wish.

If you want to limit access somewhat, you could require membership in the Forum before allowing people to download the GPS files.

Tony
TonyK

Postby rich on Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:16 pm

Hi Tony, I just got KML file generation of put-ins released onto the site. Check out any river/lake's put-ins and you'll see a link for the KML file just under the listing for videos, dams, etc... Give it a try and let me know how it works for you. You can either save the file or open it up in Google Earth if you have it installed.

Adding GPX files shouldn't be too difficult now that I have KML files fully working. PoiEdit is pretty cool but hopefully I can avoid the extra conversion process from KML.

Best Regards,
-Rich
rich
Site Admin

Postby rich on Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:17 am

All righty, GPX file support just added in! I don't have a GPS unit to test this out on but they're working in Google Earth when you open a file and choose filetype of "GPS (*.gpx, *.loc)".

-Rich
rich
Site Admin

Return to PaddleAway.com Suggestions