Video_humor

This forum is for anything related to paddling; places to paddle, paddling events, etc...

Video_humor

Postby chad on Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:33 am

Just looking at the video Kayak Launch From Cliff. Did you catch how he re-entered his kayak...climbing in and then rolling up. Looks pretty useful!
chad

Re: Video_humor

Postby rich on Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:52 pm

Yeah, that was a nicely done re-enter and roll.

I've read that after a wet exit in rough waters it should be your primary self-rescue technique since it is so quick. Other slower techniques leave you open to being dumped again.

Once it warms up we should spend a day on Lake Michigan practicing rolls and and re-enter and rolls and maybe a T-rescue or two. You never know when someone will have a near-death experience dumping their boat just before a dam and need a T-rescue!!! ;)
rich
Site Admin

Postby chad on Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:43 pm

Sounds like a good idea. I'm going to test out a kayak next Sunday, weather permiting... so hopefuly I'll have my own this season!

Also just watched the video Finding History on the Illinois River and the Hennepin canal... I think this would be an interesting trip.
chad

Postby rich on Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:21 am

You are living in one of the prime kayaking sections in Illinois, we'll definitely have to make some trips down by you this year. Hennepin canal, Covel Creek and Vermilion are all on my wish list.

What boats are you looking at? I was looking at Wilderness Systems' Tempest 170, and a Valley Aquanaut. In plastic models both are in the $1500-$1700 range (Fiberglass or composites are in the $3K+ range). Plastic is a little heavier but you don't have to worry about scratching up the boat. I'll probably be heading over to Geneva Kayak at some point in the next couple of months to try the Valley Aquanaut out.

Wilderness Systems Tempest 170
http://www.rockcreek.com/products/listing/item3416.asp?ref=RCO_googlebase

Valley Aquanaut (Plastic/Polyethylene)
http://www.valleyseakayaks.com/aquanautlvpoly.htm

For the moment, I plan on hitting the waterways with a cheap old-school whitewater boat I picked up for $200. Hopefully I won't have too much trouble getting it to go straight on local rivers. I'm hoping to get my roll down using this boat. My boat looks just like the one below.

rich
Site Admin

Postby chad on Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:24 pm

One of the main reasons I finally decided to take the plunge was all the rivers close by, and this website has been a huge help in that arena. Attending canoecopia may also have a little to do with it. I've set my budget at 1800 max (assuming I can pay with CC... I love 0% interest!) My top two options are a P&H Vela fiberglass (used) and after spending time on paddling.net I've been pointed to Tempest 165 plastic (probably new since I can't find a used one).
I keep going back and forth between fiberglass and plastic. I concerned about shallow waters/rocks on the rivers since most of my time will probably be spent on the rivers close to here and I have no idea what type of depth they typically run. If I knew I'd be in deeper waters most the time, I'd splurge for the fiberglass.
I also found a used fiberglass valley avocet (1800 obo) which was also highly recommended in fiberglass or plastic.

I was checking out Rutabaga's website and discovered if you buy a plastic kayak, you have up to 2 yrs to trade it back in to get the total original purchase price applied to a new (full priced, of course) fiberglass or kevlar kayak.

-Chad
chad

Postby rich on Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:32 pm

All those boats sound pretty good, particularly the Valley Avocet for $1800. At least with fiberglass you can always repair scratches with some epoxy and sanding. As I'm finding out, seems most paddlers eventually buy several boats to match the different types of water.

Since they are so cheap, may also want to consider getting an old school whitewater boat (i.e. long, unlike the current crop of super short, easy to turn boats) like I did for non-whitewater rivers. At the end of summer many of the small to medium sized rivers around here are pretty shallow (Kishwaukee, Des Plaines, Nippersink) and I'll have no concern scratching up this boat on the bottoms. I'll be finding out pretty soon if this is going to be a decent solution or not depending on its tracking capabilities. I plan on having some fun with this thing -seal launching off river banks, playing in whitewater features on the Des Plaines and DuPage rivers, as well as getting my roll down on Lake Michigan.

-Rich
rich
Site Admin

Return to Paddle Talk