Kishwaukee River In Flood Stage - August 8, 2007

This is where you can share the awesome paddling experience you just had.

Kishwaukee River In Flood Stage - August 8, 2007

Postby rich on Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:05 pm

With all the rainfall earlier this month we got a little crazy and decided to hit the Kish when it was in flood stage. We started at Countyline Road and ended at Redhorse Bend in Belvidere. This was an eye opening experience as I had never witnessed a flood firsthand. The amount of damage we saw was amazing. Homes, RVs, cars and vans all pretty much destroyed and abandoned in the flood waters of the Kish.

Below are some pictures I took on the less danger-stricken areas of this trip. We paddled over a fence that was 3-5 feet high and passed many campground vehicles and RVs that were stranded in the floodwaters of the mighty Kish. On one particular van we passed it appeared that the owners had piled every last belonging onto its roof. Amazingly, the entire van was surrounded by water but had only managed to reached a few inches up the tires.

With the river in flood stage, this turned out to be a fairly dangerous trip and we realized we probably should not have been out on the river. The primary reason for this is strainers -trees that have fallen across the river with the submerged branches straining anything passing through them (boats, people, etc..). This is a hazard that can trap you if you fail to avoid it. We saw a similar but slightly different type of strainer on this trip.

We passed various sections of the Kish where the river was overflowing its banks and taking on a new course. The river was then rushing through the trees and brush creating a potentially dangerous situation as you are pulled from the normal course of the river into the forested and bush lined banks. We were able to avoid getting pulled into the trees and brush but the trip was more stressful than we could have imagined due to this.

MVI_3808_snapshot1.jpg
RV Campground flooded over looking upstream. Everyone had evacuated leaving behind cars, RVs and all their belongings.
MVI_3808_snapshot1.jpg (78.27 KB) Viewed 3040 times

MVI_3808_snapshot2.jpg
More of the campground just 20-50 feet downstream of the previous picture.
MVI_3808_snapshot2.jpg (90.73 KB) Viewed 3037 times

MVI_3811_snapshot1.jpg
The Kish takes on a new path through the trees.
MVI_3811_snapshot1.jpg (100.05 KB) Viewed 3032 times

IMG_3819_640x480.JPG
Homes were now sitting in the path of the Kish -right here there was a fairly strong current. I'm surprised this house was still standing given the force of the water.
IMG_3819_640x480.JPG (64 KB) Viewed 3055 times

IMG_3823_640x480.JPG
1/2 mile or so away form the take-out at Red Horse Bend
IMG_3823_640x480.JPG (40.71 KB) Viewed 3064 times

MVI_3827_snapshot1.jpg
Trip is almost over.
MVI_3827_snapshot1.jpg (61.08 KB) Viewed 3037 times
rich
Site Admin

Re: Kishwaukee River In Flood Stage - August 8, 2007

Postby Guest on Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:06 am

Nice shots Rich!

Re: Kishwaukee River In Flood Stage - August 8, 2007

Postby bobstivanson on Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:11 am

HI Rich: Thanks for the pics. I own one of the campers on the Kish in that campground and have many pics I took over the 3 weks it was flooded as well. I'll try to remember to bring them to the meetup at my place next Saturday Feb. 16th. Hope you can make it! Bob
bobstivanson

Return to Trip Reports