Sterling Lake - Lake County, IL

This is where you can share the awesome paddling experience you just had.

Sterling Lake - Lake County, IL

Postby rich on Sun May 25, 2008 8:39 pm

Here are some photos from a quick paddle at Sterling Lake in Van Patten Woods near the Illinois-Wisconsin border. There were several other kayakers out on the lake today including a father and 2 daughters aged 9 and 11.

When I first noticed them from across the lake I saw that there were 2 people out of their kayaks in the fairly cold water. Not knowing if they were in trouble or not I headed on over to see what was going on, fully expecting to assist with a T-rescue. The girls were wearing wetsuits and fully prepared for the cold water which was probably somewhere in the upper 50 F range. After a few attempts they both managed to get back into their boats with their fathers guidance! Very impressive!! Just shows I need to get my girls out kayaking!

I am paddling my new (and first) sea kayak, a rotomolded Wilderness Systems Tempest 170. So far so good, no capsizes yet and the hatches are water and air tight. Can't wait to try out a roll and take it out in some waves on Lake Michigan. That will have to wait until warmer weather though. Not to mention that I still need to buy a spray skirt. Fun times ahead!

IMG_7136.JPG
Self-rescue practice.

IMG_7178_A.JPG
One of the brave girls after doing self-rescue practice.

IMG_7180_A.JPG
Father with the other brave girl that was doing self-rescue practice.

IMG_7139_A.JPG
Me in my new kayak (yes I like yellow colored kayaks, matches my rec boat quite nicely).

IMG_7181_A.JPG
Happy as can be!
rich
Site Admin

Re: Sterling Lake - Lake County, IL

Postby ChadH on Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:55 am

Rich
That's great you got the boat! I'm still looking... I just can't find a store that has any interest in selling me a boat!!

Chad
ChadH

Re: Sterling Lake - Lake County, IL

Postby rich on Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:05 pm

Chad, thanks! The new boat has been lots of fun so far. I've been paddling mostly Busse Woods Lake anywhere from 1-3 times a week to try and learn how to handle this thing. So much to learn!

What boat(s) are at the top of your list now? If you want to try out my Tempest sometime I'd be more than happy to let you take it out for a test run.

-Rich
rich
Site Admin

Return to Trip Reports